There are a range of visas that allow international candidates to live and work in Australia. These are processed and managed by The Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs.

If you’re an Australian permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen, you have work rights in Australia and don’t need to apply for a visa.

Types of visas

As a healthcare worker, you may be eligible for more than one visa class, including a permanent or a temporary visa.

Which visa is right for you depends on:

  • the role you’re applying for
  • your skills and qualifications
  • your age and where you’re from
  • other personal circumstances.

The visa finder on the Department of Home Affairs will show you which visas you might be able to apply for.

Employer sponsored visas

We may be able to support your visa application if you’re filling a skilled clinical vacancy in the following professions:

The visa classes we usually sponsor include:

You'll also need to get your overseas qualifications recognised.

Other visa classes

There may be other visas you can apply for that will allow you to live, study and work in Australia.

If you’d like more information or advice, you can speak to a registered migration agent.

You can search for registered migration agents on the Department of Home Affairs OMARA portal.

Last updated: December 2023