Help with moving and travel costs
If you’re moving to start a new job with Queensland Health, ask if we can help with your moving costs. It’ll depend on where your job is and your role.
We may be able to help with:
- flights and airport transfers for you and your family.
- mileage allowance.
- overnight or temporary accommodation.
- relocating your personal belongings, including furniture and one vehicle.
- visa application and administration costs.
- initial registration costs.
Some hospitals and health services will reimburse you for your costs, and others may pay directly for some expenses such as flights.
Read our Transfer and Appointment Expenses Directive No. 11/11 [PDF 99 KB]. You can also find more information in our HR Policy D4 - Transfer and Appointment Expenses [PDF 276 KB].
Who can apply
Anyone joining Queensland Health can apply for relocation costs, including:
- nurses and midwifes.
- GPs and doctors.
- allied health professionals such as radiographers and occupational therapists.
- Queensland Health bonded scholarship holders.
- staff working in other roles such as administration, IT and finance.
How to apply
We’ll talk to you about relocation expenses during the recruitment process. If we’re able to help, we’ll include the details in your offer of employment letter.
You must give your manager all the receipts for reimbursement within 12 months of starting your job.
Leaving Queensland Health
If you leave Queensland Health within 12 months of starting your job, you may have to pay back all or some of your moving costs. It’ll depend how long you worked for us.
How much you'll have to pay back
- Less than 6 months - you’ll have to pay back the whole amount.
- Between 6 and 9 months – two thirds of the amount.
- Between 9 and 12 months – one third of the amount.
You won’t have to pay back any costs if you’re leaving to retire or if you’ve been declared medically unfit.
If there are special circumstances, the chief executive at your health service may decide you don’t have to pay back any costs.
Workforce attraction incentive scheme
When you join us from another state or make the move from overseas, you might be eligible for up to $20,000.
If you take up a job in regional or rural Queensland, you might be eligible for up to $70,000 even if you’re moving from Brisbane metro.